Artists Statement

I paint as often and as much as I can. I take classes when I can afford it, but the money usually goes to buy more art supplies. This blog is to share the results with you! I am a Work in Progress.

Dianne Lanning Fine Art.com


Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Ah Spring, A couple of warm days and I'm smiling!

After a recording stint the other day I treated myself to a restaurant lunch at The Fish Market. It was such a beautiful day and I got a table right on the water! Fortunately my Winsor & Newton pocket watercolor set came in with me in a little green nylon bag. However, the results were mixed. I did the view twice. I used my little view finder very briefly because it was too difficult to keep using it without drawing a lot of attention, but it did help. The watercolor version was abysmal, althought the waiter loved it:
(well, I just tried to put the image of the watercolor version HERE, and it went to the top. How do other people get pictures where they want them?)


Anyway, then I did a quick pen and ink. It may have come out better because after the painting the watercolor the scene was more familiar and it made it easier. (I'll try to put the pen and ink here:)
Well? Howcum that worked and the other didn't? Sheesh.

Anyway, that's how I celebrated the coming of Spring! Next Saturday is a plein air Paint Out in a local park. You can register for two start times 6:30AM (to get the sunrise) and the one for sane people at 8:AM. I am the latter, thank you very much! Although it would be a treat to paint the sunrise, I know myself too well.
It's odd though, they will be having a judging at about noon. A bit early. All entries must be framed or be gallery wrapped canvas. ?? That pretty well eliminates watercolor doesn't it? Unless there are some remarkably prepared artists out there with frame selections in their cars. Hmmm. Nope, not me.

Fortunately, knowing myself as I do, I am going for the experience and fun of it, and if I come up with something viewable, great! This will be the first road test of my Christmas present, the Monet Traveling French Easel. It has attached wheels and a telescoping handle.

Late last night I thought I was going to bed, but I found myself sitting at the easel with an oil still life on which I've been working. The new Charvin oils had arrived and they needed to be tested, right? So, some of the shadows are better, the leaf I didn't like because it looked like a plastic leaf (well, it was) was turned into a lime and a couple of citrus leaves. Better (IMHO). Fortunately, at that easel is a floor standing Ott light from my needle work equipment so working after dark is not so bad. Actually, I like to never got to bed! The lime needs some dimpling though.
My thoughts and love are with the people of Japan, land where I was born, and remembering:
"The Lord on high is mightier than the noise of many waters, yea, than the mighty waves of the sea."  There is no good that is beyond the power and scope of God, Father and Mother of us all, and he cares for us all, even as "the lilies of the field."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dianne, It would perhaps have been easier to have done your pen and ink first then you would have got your drawing sorted before attempting the painting. I have been struggling with plein air painting and have found it useful to go back to sketching outdoors. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I have had a quick look at subsequent locations for the virtual paintout and found it difficult to find a suitable location without spending a lot of time. I have been doing a lot of sketches exploring different colour palettes. I am currently experimenting with Payne’s ideas for palettes. I don’t have a website as I am just experimenting/learning with landscape painting, I have lots of sketches and no finished works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andrew, you're right, I have a tendency to jump right into color, and sometimes it comes out great. Not this time. A sketch could have helped simplify the scene for me. Also, the ink pen I had was water soluble and would have run all over if painted over. Note to myself: carry a waterproof uni-ball pen.
    I used to sketch constantly, and I need to get back to that, as in any art, practice is key.

    On palette variety, my natural tendency is to work in a sort of earth-tone palette and I really need to stretch myself. I've found the Artist Challenges help me because it puts things before me that might not have occurred to me, it gets me out of my comfort range.

    ReplyDelete