Artists Statement

I paint as often and as much as I can. I take classes when I can afford it, but the money usually goes to buy more art supplies. This blog is to share the results with you! I am a Work in Progress.

Dianne Lanning Fine Art.com


Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Working small

Blue Bowl w/ Tomatoes
Ooops. Putting an acrylic through the scanner gets you an all over shiny sparkle. This is a 6X8 using the Paint and Draw Together current challenge. I loved the colors in it, though I ended up painting it last night under incandescent light. Now that it's scanned I can see the bowl needs more shape. Without thinking about it I put the bowl in the middle, somehow missing that the center of it all in the little "Y" branching of the stem that sits on the bowl's edge. So another little tomato was introduced on the left for some balance. It was fun to paint with the deep, vivid colors. Plus in the challenge description on the blog there was an interesting discussion on lost edges etc, which was very helpful.
AZ winter
Another 6X8 acrylic through the scanner. It looks better in person. Still, the scanner shows me that the shadows on the snow from hidden trees on the left have been lost, they need to be more intense. I chickened out, they have to go back in. It looks like the clouds came out wimpy. In the photo they were just barely swirls of mist, but it doesn't work in this picture. The water is the right colors (excuses) but it doesn't look right. Frankly I was going to "draw" in the larger shapes, then add color. I got carried away and started painting each object immediately. This means cleaning the palette, putting down one color for background and one for drawing shapes, and maybe covering the paint box so I remember to do the whole sketch first. It's to help recognize the major shapes and balance the picture before painting it all in and discovering it's not sitting in the right spot on the canvas.

No comments:

Post a Comment